The Nigerian army said that onFriday 14 of its soldiers and so many people of the Boko Haram fighters had been killed during a multi-month sweep operation in the nation’s southeast.
The Defence ministry spokesman Colonel Moustapha Ledru told the state television that “123 terrorists” had been killed and “a large quantity of arms recovered from the insurgents.”
Verifying the number of dead boko haram fighters were not possible.
READ ALSO; President Buhari’s Speech On Independence Day #NigeriaAt56
Colonel Moustapha Ledru said 14 soldiers were killed and 29 wounded in the joint operations with Chad’s military took place between July and September 28.
They targeted the Diffa region, which lies just across the border from the Islamists’ stronghold in northeastern Nigeria.
The colonel, Colonel Moustapha Ledru said the “terrorists” who had been killed had “infiltrated” into Diffa from Nigeria, adding that two fighters had been captured.
Boko Haram’s seven-year insurgency has left at least 20,000 people dead in Nigeria and border areas of neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, and made more than 2.6 million homeless.
READ ALSO; At 56 we still haven’t reached our Canaanland; Obasanjo
Attacks in Niger’s Diffa region began in February 2015. In late July this year a multinational force, drawn from Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon, was formed to tackle the Islamic insurgents and clear them out of towns and villages.
Ledru said operations had led to four strategic localities being taken back from Boko Haram control.
Thanks for reading.