The Federal Housing Authority has commenced moves to prosecute Messrs Global Success Limited, the developer of collapsed Abuja building.
According to the Managing Director, FHA, Prof. Mohammed Al-Amin, while addressing Journalists in Abuja, it would work with other agencies of government as well as professional bodies in perfecting the required penalty.
It was gathered that the collapsed building was erected outside the approved plan given for the construction of a mall on the allocated plot.
Mohammed Al-Amin also said that the authority’s development control team noticed the illegal structure early this year and directed that it be stopped, but its directive was not obeyed by the developer.
He said, “The plot was allocated to the developer by the FHA in 2009 and the plan for the mall was subsequently approved by the authority. Early this year, the authority’s development control personnel noticed that work had commenced on a structure at the back of the mall which was not covered earlier by the approval.”
“Three contravention notices were therefore issued to the developer followed by a stop-work order. In line with the established protocol, a final demolition notice was also issued on the ill-fated structure. The FHA was in consultation with the Development Control Department of the Federal Capital Development Authority for its support in handling the contravention and a follow-up meeting was scheduled for this week before the structure came down.”
Al-Amin stated that the authority worked with other government agencies during the rescue operation and that all the construction workers rescued from the site had been taken to a hospital and were responding to treatment.
The building collapsed on 10 contradiction workers on Monday morning. Officials of the FHA, National Emergency Management Agency, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and Julius Berger were among those who responded first at the site of the incident.